Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hey friends!

Sorry I'm a bit late on this one. Cutie asked me to write about why I'm vegan and then I realized I don't really know why exactly I'm vegan and then I ran into a brick wall of self-doubt and stuff. So here's what I have so far- if I can afford (mentally/physically/financially) to stay away from animal products, then I will. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 4 years on-and-off before switching to veganism, partly because I really didn't know it was a 'thing' not to consume dairy or eggs. As dumb as it sounds, I didn't realize animals could suffer if they weren't being killed for their meat. It was actually the book Animal Liberation by Peter Singer that ultimately made me stop consuming animal products. I think that one day I might keep a small flock of chickens and use their eggs, or have some kind of milk-producing animal to love and eat grass in my backyard. But until then, I won't eat/wear/use animal products because I want to take full moral responsibility. So I guess that's it. Recipes sooner or later.

2 comments:

  1. I thought I already posted a comment but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway did you read animal liberation for Peter Ammirati's class because that also lead to my diet in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! During ethics class we read it.

    ReplyDelete